Champions of Tymeria
The Church of the Silver Flame
The priests and paladins of the Silver Flame have battled the forces of darkness for hundreds of years. While it is a relatively young religion, it has found staunch support in certain isolated parts of Tymeria and even Urea.
One facet of the order is a group of Monks first established in Urea and then spreading to Tymeria. The order originated in the Rengala Mountains within the province of Shar-Zin. This group is now known most commonly simply as the Monks on the Mountain. The Flame is said to be here.
Five Edicts of the Church
1. Trust in the Silver Flame. The Voice of the Silver Flame never lies. It will light your way to glory and salvation.
2. Heed the words of the Keeper. The Keeper of the Flame is your emissary. Through the Keeper, the Silver Flame speaks.
3. Fight evil in all its forms. Not everyone can have the strength or conviction of a paladin, but there are many ways to fight evil that don’t require one to draw a sword. We must also remain vigilant, for the one thing evil does well is hide in plain sight.
4. Lead a noble life, and encourage others to do the same. Temptations abound, but the wisest of us can recognize and avoid them. If you die with a pure spirit, you will be forever bound with the Silver Flame.
5. Share the faith. The Silver Flame can purify the darkest spirit. Share the power of the Flame with those who have not yet embraced it.
Motivation and Goals
The Church of the Silver Flame seeks to purify the world. Its most obvious work is its war against supernatural evil; members of the church militant roam the land fighting fiends, undead, and magical beasts. But the church also seeks to fight corruption, greed, and other human evils. The common layman is not expected to fight zombies and ghouls; this is the work of the soldiers of the church. But he is expected to live a noble life and to encourage others to do the same. It is said that those who purify their spirits in this life will join with the Silver Flame after death, strengthening the flame.
Listening to the Voice
The Voice of the Silver Flame whispers from the depths of the everburning fire located in the Cathedral of the Silver Flame in the Rengala Mountain Range. The Voice, said to belong to Tira Miron, usually communicates through the Keeper of the Flame (currently Jaela Daran). Others of the faith sometimes hear the crackling Voice, and many make pilgrimages to the Monks on the Mountain in hopes of participating in just such a miracle. However, some scholars outside the faith believe the Voice isn’t Tira Miron, at least not solely.
Some believe that in rare instances a demonic entity that shares the flame with Tira and the rainbow-winged serpent can speak through the silver fire. In these rare instances, these scholars believe, the demon lures people on to acts of terrible evil by whispering to them that they will accomplish good works. Some of the crusades and inquisitions undertaken on behalf of the Silver Flame may fall into this category.
The Church of the Silver Flame, naturally, rejects this theory.